Monday, June 25, 2007

wasatch back relay








Last friday and saturday i participated in the Wasatch Back Relay, which is a 178 mile relay race from Logan to Park City. There are 12 people on a team and you rotate through the team running three legs of 3 - 7 miles each. You run through the night and our team finished in 25 hrs and I don't remember the minutes. We did finish 59th out of 296 teams though which I think was pretty awesome.
My friend Emily originally started out as a team capitain and tried to put a team together. Three days before the race we ended up disolving our team because we were spending all our time trying to replace dropouts. It's so interesting to me how easily people will commit to something, even pay $85 to do it, and then think nothing of dropping out. Granted there are some people with good excuses, but for the most part I think a lot of people on our team just didn't want to do it. Anyway, I found a team for Emily, her friend Cori, and I with a team from USU in Logan. The van we traveled in was faculty and the other van students. As you can see from the pictures these guys were serious runners. They kicked butt! I did alright considering I just had a baby 4.5 months ago and am nursing. I think nursing is what kills you...you just can't get over this wall until you stop because it just takes so much out of you. I would like to do this race next year when I have my body back. My first leg was in 95 degree weather and was 3.3 miles. This was the hardest leg for me because of the heat and I just didn't feel that great. My second leg 7 miles at 1:00 am and was awesome! I felt great, ran fast and it was so fun to run in the middle of nowhere (I still am not sure where I was) in the middle of the night. My last run was 6 miles through Midway and my hips starting hurting super bad so I quit at mile 4 - I was nervous I was injuring myself. Another guy in the van just finished for me which is not against the rules so it was fine. Next year would be fun to run with six couples. I am just so grateful that I have the time and health to be able to do these kinds of things. Sports keep me from having "mom burn-out" and really just helps me stay in a good mood. I love feeling strong and like I can do anything. Yeah!

1 comment:

Supercords said...

Nice update and pictures. That heat was terrible. I'm bringing a big, floppy hat next year.

Shane